Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Take it to the Hoop!

We finally convinced Cortlyn to sign up for a sport this year...basketball! D.H. and I were so stinkin' excited that she actually said she wanted to play, so we rushed down and signed her up. She went to her first practice back in November and seemed to like it. Her Coach was a little intense, but I thought that would be good for Cortlyn; she tends to be a tad bit too lackadaisical. The first time he made her run laps at practice for not acting interested in practice...I thought it was all over. I was so sure she was going to cry and never return...to my surprise, she sucked it up, ran the laps, and paid more attention at the other practices! I'm thinking of trying this at home as a behavior modification technique!
Her first game was December 6th and she was a starter, both D.H. and I secretly hoped she wouldn't be since she'd never played a game in her life...but too late. She did pretty good...lets just say she was no more clueless than the next kid! She played in two games and her team totally demolished the two teams...game 1 score 46-6 and game 2 score 54-0! We tried to control our excitement so as to say "Winning isn't everything" but who are we kidding, D.H. and I were ecstatic! Cortlyn was on cloud nine...once she caught her breathe.
She had two more games this past Saturday...and once again she was a starter. She had learned some "moves" apparently in the two previous games, because she was playing great defense and even got the ball a couple of times. Then in the second game she heeded D.H.'s advice and "got aggressive"...she scored 4 points! I couldn't have been prouder...and everyone there knew it. So I admit I'm one of those mom's on the sidelines hootin' and hollerin' for their kid! Her team again demolished the other teams, so they are 4-0 so far this season. The best part though is she is having so much fun and D.H. (dear hubby) and I are too! We have four games left this season...we'll let you know how it ends.

2 comments:

Jen B. said...

That is so great that y’all got her to give sports a try. I am glad she (and her cheering section) are enjoying it!

kjanedesigns said...

Oooh how awesome is that!! I can just see you know hollaring from the sidelines... poor Cortlyn! :)